The following resources will give you an idea of the mediation process and help you with some of the financial and emotional aspects of separating.
SUPPORT FOR SEPARATING PARENTS
For help and advice on the legal implications associated with mediation.
This American website has some good basic pointers to helping parents help their children during separation.
Telephone: 0207 5200 300 www.helpguide.org/mental/children_divorce.htm
Offering a wide range of tools and resources for separating parents.
Advice and support for everybody effected by family separation.
A National organisation supporting single parents.
SUPPORT FOR CHILDREN AND TEENAGERS
Support and advice for children and young people effected by separation.
ORGANISATIONS AND MEDIATION
For information on organisations and governing bodies in mediation.
LEGAL AND FINANCIAL HELP
Signposting websites for help with the legalities and financial implications of separation and divorce.
- Citizen Advice Bureau You can find out locations and times for drop in advice on a whole range of financial issues but the website also provides useful guides to help you in the process of separating. It also has acessible guides to help you sort out your tax and benefits. www.adviceguide.org.uk
- Legal Services Commission A guide to the legal system governing separation and divorce. www.legalservices.gov.uk
- Divorce Legal, financial, benefit and tax information and PDF forms to help separating and divorcing couples. www.gov.uk/divorce
- Child Maintenance providing guidance and advice on all matters relating to monetary child support arrangements www.cmoptions.org
- Justin Small For independent impartial financial advice. email@example.com
- Pensions www.pensionwise.gov.uk www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk www.pensionadvisoryservice.org.uk
- Phil O'Conor for independent help and advice around pension sharing in divorce settlements. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vanessa Rickett an independent Mackenzie Friend who can assist unrepresented clients in Court proceedings. email@example.com
SOLICITORS AND LAWYERS
- Jo Carr-West at Hunters Telephone: +44 (0)20 7412 0050 www.Hunters-Solicitors.co.uk
- Jane McDonagh at Simons Muirhead and Burton Telephone: +44 (0)20 3206 2700 www.smab.co.uk
- Jessica Palmer at Streathers Highgate LLP Telephone: +44 (0)207 431 8889 www.streathers.co.uk
HOW CAN I HELP?
Please fill out the form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
What do children want from their parents during separation and mediation?
- I need both of you to stay involved in my life. Please write letters, make phone calls, and ask me lots of questions. When you don't stay involved, I feel like I'm not important and that you don't really love me.
- Please stop fighting and work hard to get along with each other. Try to agree on matters related to me. When you fight about me, I think that I did something wrong and I feel guilty.
- I want to love you both and enjoy the time that I spend with each of you. Please support me and the time that I spend with each of you. If you act jealous or upset, I feel like I need to take sides and love one parent more than the other.
- Please communicate directly with my other parent so that I don't have to send messages back and forth.
- When talking about my other parent, please say only nice things, or don't say anything at all. When you say mean, unkind things about my other parent, I feel like you are expecting me to take your side.
- Please remember that I want both of you to be a part of my life. I count on you both to raise me, to teach me what is important, and to help me when I have problems.